The runDiney princess half marathon is one of my favorite races. Here are some of my best tips for running this race. Good luck!
1. Know the course. If you plan properly, you will know where the hilly overpasses are, where you can use a “real” bathroom on the course, and where the aid stations and med tents are located. Knowing this information can help you plan your fueling and pace for the event, and make you feel more at ease on race morning.
2. Arrive early. Not only will you have to wait for a bus or wait in traffic in your own car, but you will have to walk a long ways to get to the starting line, and then wait some more to use the bathroom before the race. I know as it is you have to wake up at an ungodly hour just to be there on time, but plan for some extra cushion just in case. No one wants to be stressed out and rushing!
3. Wear a costume, and wear it on a practice run. I have worn tutu’s for both runDisney Princess half races I have participated in, and it was a BLAST. However, I was careful to run around the house beforehand to see if there were any chafing issues, rubbing spots or uncomfortable things about my costume. (Fun mental picture eh?) You don’t want to be miserable for 13.1 miles in a costume that isn’t agreeing with you.
4. Bring your camera or cell phone for pictures. There are a ton of photo opportunities before, during, and after the race, so don’t miss out! Some people put their phone in an armband or fuel belt, but I just carry mine the whole race so I can quickly snap a photo whenever I want. I have even been known to tweet mid race!
5. Enter the correct proof of time. runDisney is cracking down on proof of time. You won’t be able to change it at the expo, and it will be checked against your race results to ensure you are in the correct corral. This is for everyone’s safety and enjoyment, and to help with overcrowding. If your time is found to be incorrect on your proof, you may be put in a back corral. Don’t risk it and lie about your time!
6. Plan for the finish. If you have family waiting for you, tell them not to crowd the finish line area where runners exit, but to meet you in the family reunion area at one of the signs with a letter on it. There are a LOT of people in a small area after the race and sometimes cell phones won’t work, so have a meeting spot ahead of time. It’s so hard as a runner to push through the spectators waiting on their runner. You are exhausted and just want to get somewhere to sit down!
7.) Be careful with your packing: I always pack my complete race outfit in my carry on bag, and organize things with labeled ziploc bags if needed. I also lay out everything the night before so I am not fumbling around looking for a tiara or socks at 3 AM on race day. That wake up time is early, so every minute is precious!
If you are interested in tracking your fitness or any health goals, be sure to get check out my free printable to help you achieve your goals!
QOTD: Did you or will you be signing up for the runDisney Princess half? What princess would you run as if you were to participate?
*More info on rundisney.com
Get Your Free Printable Set!
Sign up to get my free printables on goal setting & fitness tracking.